2021 is going to be the year of getting way. The Staycation is no longer something someone finds relaxing. Afterall, 2020 was pretty much a nine-month Staycation. Getting away for a long weekend is a great start, but people want to escape the colder weather to enjoy some vitamin D from the sun, which by the way sounds amazing right now as it is snowing outside my window.
If getting away to warmer weather means taking a flight to get there, then we have some tips for you on how to safe while getting around the airport. Let’s dive right in!
- Pack Accessible Sanitizer – I know this sounds like a no brainer, but many people overlook the simply things. Pack your favorite sanitizing things in your carry-on. You want to make sure they are in the carry-on that you put under the seat in front of you for easy access. Some of my favorite simply sanitizing things are Wet-Ones, Sprays, and portable soaps.
- Be mindful of social distancing in the airport – This all starts when you check your luggage. Make sure that you are a good six feet from the person in front of you or behind you. You can make a buffer with your suitcase in case someone starts to get too close. The same holds true while in line for security screening. Make sure to wipe down your carry-on’s after they have gone through the x-ray machine!
- Avoid elevators, touching railings, and holding onto bars – Each airport is set-up differently so some of the things I am going to mention may not pertain to you. However, every airport does have elevators. Since an elevator is a confined space, I would try to avoid it. If you need to use the elevator, then make sure that you and your family are the only ones on it. Try to avoid touching railings including escalator railings, people mover railings, stairway railings, and of course, the railings between seats while sitting at the gate. If your airport has a train that takes you to the terminals, then try to avoid touching the bars. This is hard to do as the train moves fast and you might fall over, but another surface to try and avoid.
- Avoid Clusters of People at the Gate – The age-old crowding at the gate. Everyone wants to be one of the first people on the plane. We have all seen it, and sometimes even been that person. However, now is the time to avoid the crowd. I have found that even sitting at an adjacent empty gate is good. You can still hear the gate attendant call for boarding of your flight, while having a lot more space to yourself.
- Bring your own food and empty water bottle – It sounds simple, but by bringing your own food. You are avoiding another interaction area with large amounts of people. Again, you want to put this food into your carry-on back that will go under the seat. This gives you easy access to the food while at the gate and while on the flight. An empty water bottle is great as it easily gets through security and many airports now have water bottle fill stations. A cheap water drink for the flight.
Flying in 2021 is going to increase immensely as the Staycation is no longer the way to relax. The airports are doing their part to help keep their guests safe including increasing the number of workers sanitizing areas, and promoting social distancing. However, it is still our responsibility to do our part and help out.
Need help planning your next vacation? Nervous about traveling with the new regulations? At Life is Better Traveling we have a team of travel agents who are ready to help you plan. We have been staying on top of the new rules and regulations so you can have peace of mind when you travel. Contact us today by simply filling out the form below.